Thursday, September 11, 2008

Books R Us

I hosted my book club last night at my house we read Adrift: 76 days lost at sea... I think I already mentioned that though. It seemed that everyone really enjoyed the book and we are hungry for a new book. I think my next book will be one of my adoptive mommy books that I've been stacking up with the intention of reading. Although, if I'm going to do it, I'm guessing I better do it now!

As promised, I said I'd post my favorite books... so here they are, in no particular order.
  • On Writing by Steven King--- fascinating even if you are not a Steven King fan. It is a loose autobiography/memoir about how he started writing, and how he gets those ultra weird ideas. I found it extremely interesting that he doesn't even REMEMBER writing Carrie- he was too drugged out. I've read this about 5 times - I really like to reread the good ones.

  • The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway--- a one-sitting read that is everything a book needs to be. Outstanding writing and empathy for character. I've read this one four times I think. I even have encouraged a few of my fifth graders to read it over the years.
  • Angels and Demons by Dan Brown --- I read the DaVinci Code and LOVED it, but Angels and Demons was more tightly woven and more along the lines of science, which is my weakness.

  • The Kite Runner- by Khaled Hosseini. I read this for book club and found myself feeling so overwhelmed by how little I understand people of other cultures and probably some of my best friends. A sad book that will change the way you look at most things.

  • She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb--- great read, disturbing... I still cannot believe that a man wrote this book. Unbelievable!

  • A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck--- this is one of my student books... It's written for young adult readers, but I feel like I know these people, like I've met them before. It's a great funny book and anyone with a weird Grandma would love it! I cry at the end EVERY TIME.... even thought I read it aloud to my fifth graders. They make fun of me frequently behind my back, I'm sure.

  • The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan---If you haven't read it, you should get it on your way home today. Required reading for every woman.
  • Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins-- Okay. I'm not religious in any way, but I liked the idea behind this book and the story that unfolded. Great storytelling for entertainment purposes... I couldn't put it down... kind of like The DaVinci Code, ironically.

I'm sure I'll think of four more in the next three minutes right after I click on publish post. I'll add to them as time goes on I'm sure.

However, again, I feel very strongly that people should use their libraries, rather than go to the fancy-shmancy coffee shops with books. I like going to those places as much as the next guy, but the library is SO conveinient now with the online catalog and holds system. Anytime I want a book, I just type it in, they deliver it to my library thats 1/2 mile away, and I can check it out when I want at no charge--- well, kind of... it is my tax money, but yea! I'm using it. How many other government programs can you say that about?? (stepping off soapbox)

Can't wait to post about our visit to the 'natti! Brandon and Chris are entered in a cornhole tournament and plan to eat my weight in fried dough at this festival! Woo Hoo!




1 comment:

SPryor said...

Thanks for the great book list. A couple of months ago, Real Simple had readers write in about their favorite book club book. I have already requested a couple from my local library :) Hopefully one of them will be good enough to be invited to our club.

Keep up the posting -- I am in LOVE with your blog!