Friday, March 20, 2009

Rory is truly a VAUGHN

Wow! Things around here change at lightning speed! We've had no major 'episodes' since the last post, so that is definitely progress, but we know that things can change in any direction at any time so we are still working on making this a smooth transition for Rory as possible. Sometimes I'll just look at Rory and wonder "WHAT ON EARTH COULD HE BE THINKING?" Everyday there is something that cracks us up or makes us realize just how little he understands. Then, he will amaze us with something that he's learned! Some high points:
  • Brandon burned a CD for the car that has some really upbeat songs that he thought Rory would like. When Rory heard the "Ob-la-di" song by the Beatles, he totally fell in love with it. We were in the car today and he kept saying 12... he had figured out that it was song twelve on the CD! Now he walks around yelling "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da..." This is Rory's serious car face. He's also given up wearing his own glasses and opted for Papa's big boy sunglasses instead.


  • Rory won't wear clothes twice in a row. No matter what. For example, the other day he wore a pair of pants for MAYBE three hours so I just folded them and put them on the hamper and thought he'll wear them another day-they aren't dirty or anything. Well the next day when I got them out, he looked at me like I was insane! Like, "Okay mom, who are you kidding, I know these weren't washed..." What am I? June Cleaver or something? Seriously! So my new trick is to throw things in the hamper, then, when he's not around, I'll get out his pajamas he wore one night and refold them and put them back in his drawer. The first time I did it, he looked at me like "Wait just a second..." Then hesitantly put on the pajamas, but he had his evil eye on my the whole time! I think he's on to me...
  • Rory is amazed by my hair dryer. When I walk out of the bathroom with wet hair he will touch it and say something in creole. Then, whenever I get around to drying it, he'll follow me in the bathroom. I sit on the floor and dry my hair and he'll brush it while I dry it. Then he'll touch my hair and say "Mama chevaux cho"- Mama's hair hot. Needless to say, I've had some pretty bad hair days.
  • Rory was in the bonus room upstairs the other day and looking at all the baseball stuff on the walls. He took one look at the Babe Ruth picture and pointed and said "Papa papa papa". Then, today, there was a commercial on the TV and he started pointing and saying "Mama! Mama! Mama!" when I turned and looked, it was Christie Brinkley! Of course I said "THANK YOU RORY!"
  • Rory loves anything to do with cleaning. He will help in every chore, no matter what. I'm enjoying it while it lasts because YOU KNOW it won't! Among his favorite things, the vacuum is a total treat for him. He loves it. We put some stuff on the floor so he could actually see that it picks stuff up and his eyes got huge and he immediately grabbed it and started going to town. His other favorite... the leaf blower. He thought that was the coolest thing EVER! See picture of Papa taking a break...

  • Rory has discovered Tom and Jerry. I know that today people say Tom and Jerry is so violent (which, let's face it, it is) but so is the news and every other show that is on. At least it's just a cartoon. I think the reason he likes it so much is that there is no talking at all, just action so he understands everything about it! He will sit and watch it- completely expressionless and motionless, then out of nowhere, he'll burst into uncontrollable laughter and run around imitating something that just happened. So far his favorite is when the human goes out for the night and all the cats come over and have a party and Jerry is all mad because he can't go to sleep. He retells the whole story in Creole which is really hilarious because it sounds like nonsense, but we can totally understand what he means!
  • Rory says banana like "BOO NANA" - so funny I don't ever want him to say it normally.
  • Rory loves school and counting. I got out the poker chips and I have him separate the colors and we count them and compare the stacks. We count by 10's and at the end we knock them all down for fun. Now, if I could just wrestle up the $10,000 entry fee for the World Series of Poker, we'd be in some serious business!




2 comments:

kay said...

Misty,
It looks like Rory is really feeling at home. I know you are having the time of your life. He is quite the little singer. Future honor choir material. Enjoy your time with him and know that your Isom family checks in on the blog often. We hope to meet him in person soon. We are alot to take in though, so we understand if it takes awhile to get up the courage.

I am so happy for you.
God Bless
Kay

Jennie Steffus said...

Misty-

We are so incredibly happy for you and Brandon! My heart is overcome with pure joy watching all the fun videos, seeing the pictures and reading all your stories! Rory is absolutely adorable and we can't wait to meet him! I'm amazed at how well you communicate back and forth when speaking two different languages! It's so cool! We think of you often and wish you nothing, but happiness! If you need anything, you now where to find us. We hope to see you soon!

Love, Jen