Thursday, April 2, 2009

Almost 4 weeks home!

I can't believe that we are nearing the 1 month mark. I look back and wonder what on earth happened? Wasn't it just February? Rory is doing well... as I write this, he is playing his new favorite song (Viva la Veda by Coldplay) with Papa on his new Rory-sized GEEtar that Aunt Malana brought for him. He is so easy to please, but so quick to take a downturn sometimes. Everything is so overwhelming for him, and we have to really hold back not to just cram his day full of new stuff. I don't have the feeling at all that we have to make up for the last four years. He will catch up as time goes by, I have no doubt.

Rory will finally get to meet some more family this weekend. We are going to Aunt Marie and Aunt Margaret's on Saturday. We are so excited for new people to meet him! Then, in a couple weeks Grandma and Grandpa are coming from Florida! We can't hardly wait for them to meet him.

Rory's new favorite place is the library or the playground. We went to the library yesterday and saw a mini-concert for preschoolers put on by this guy that sings about choo choo trains. There were probably about 40 kids there and they all sat in the front and listened, danced, and sang. Rory, however, was a tad bit overwhelmed. I sat in the front row and he sat directly in front of me. He didn't clap, sing, or dance BUT... I got the distinct feeling that he wanted to. He mostly watched all the other boys and girls and was taking it all in. We know that as we introduce him to more people and kids, he'll come out of his shell. But, it made me really think about what this all looks like through his eyes. The other part of it is that most of the kids there were white and were curious about this new boy and his white mama (I overheard a couple kids asking their parents about us). But they so badly wanted to talk to him and play with him and he just kind of 'shutdown'. I sense this letting up though, and who knows how he'll be in another month? Meanwhile, he loves the library and when we took a huge stack of books home he thought that they were his! I had to explain in creole/english that the library lady is nice and lets us read her books. But she loves them and we have to take them back to her to make her happy and she'll let us have more. As soon as he crasped this concept, his eyes got huge and he started kissing and petting the books and say "it is okay, ou mama loves books".

The other thing that stands out to me.... have you ever seen the movie SPLASH with Tom Hanks and Darryl Hannah? Ya know, the one from the eighties where she's a mermaid and it's totally cheesy? Well, you know the scene where he buys her the present from tiffany's and he gives her the trademark blue tiffany box and she just looks at it and loves the box, not realizing the real gift is inside? That is everyday for Rory. The the other day I snuck a bag of twizzlers into my purse and in the car I gave him one, papa, and (of course). He thought it was a toy and started flicking it around and twirling it and wrapping it around his fingers. He thought it was great! Then I took a bite of mine, and he was shocked that I would eat my toy! I said "No toy, serete (candy) bon gou (tastes good)!" He took a bite and thought it was the best thing ever! Ever since, he's been asking about the red candy and when it will make its appearance again. I don't think that I can break it to him that it's mama's favorite and I'm hoarding it for a really bad day.

By the way, thanks for reading our blog... it's so nice to hear that so many people are keeping up with our posts and enjoying the videos. Feel free to leave comments or questions...

1 comment:

Peggy said...

MIsty and Brandon,

I really enjoy your blogs. Keep up the good work. Rory is a really sweet boy and seems to be catching on pretty quickly. I am sure it is a big adjustment for him. I am sure your Mother is trying to spoil him. When Brandon's parents get here they will also.