Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday, August 1, 2008

What happened to July? It seems like the 4th was just yesterday!

I received my much-dreaded, annual letter from the superintendent of Greenwood Schools. It looks like they are going to insist on having school again this year and it starts August 13th. While summer can't last forever, I hate to see it end. But, there is something about the start of a new school year. It got me thinking...

Here is my list of why I love the first day of school, still.

1. There is a buzz in the hallways 5 minutes before the bell rings that first day that is palpable. We (the teachers) all have this nervous excitement that doesn't exist on any other day.

2. The kids are bathed, smell good, tan, combed, well-dressed, and have school supplies. I can't say that for any other day of the year for a lot of them.

3. The classroom has that crayon smell. You know?

4. The kids are afraid of me. I don't want them to be, but it's entertaining to watch their faces for the entire day, because they just have no idea what is coming next.

5. I have no pre-conceived notions for any child. I purposely do not look at permanent records until the third or fourth day of school.

6. On the first day, every child knows that they have a clean slate and they can earn good grades and go far. I wish I could figure out how do get that effect every day.

7. Everyone has at least one pencil.

8. I go over my list of rules. There are 53 of them. Excessive... yes. But the kids love it. Some of the rules are serious (#1 - use sir or ma'am when speaking to an adult), some are silly (#36- Do not EVER bring black licorice to school), and some are inspirational (#53- Decide today what kind of school year that YOU want to have). I love my list.

9. I get to read Tiki Tiki Tembo and Road Trip by Ann Jonas. Two all-time, great out-loud reads.

10. Every last one of them, for 10 years running, has been on their best behavior for the entire first day. Now, if I could just bottle that.....

No comments: