Monday, January 12, 2009

My take on sports....

Anyone that knows me knows my husband is a SPORTS FANATIC (and I mean that in the nicest way). At first, this was hard for me to understand. You have to realize, I grew up in a house when the only time sports was on TV was a.) when there was a NASCAR race or b.) the golf tournament was providing the ultimate sound backdrop for a Sunday afternoon nap.

So, you can imagine my adjustment when I married Brandon. I learned very quickly that 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!' I began by asking all of the dumb questions like "What's a first down?" and "Who is George Brett?" and "Why is baseball played in a dome?" Here I am, a decade later... exponentially wiser, but still asking questions. They are a bit wiser like "How does that weasel Mike Lupica have a job?" and "Is this tournament an 18 hole playoff or sudden death? I can't remember...." and "Why on EARTH is baseball played in a dome?"

I've learned to really like sports. Especially the NFL. I can't get into college football. I don't understand the whole BOWLs/rankings/BCS thing (and for that matter, I don't think anyone does). Also, I can't stand the NBA. I mean, seriously. How can you get into a sport where no one gives their best effort until the last two minutes of every game? I really like golf, and play it, but as a spectator, you can watch any ol' tournament all year long with little to now emotion. But the four majors make up for it.

We love COLTS football at our house. So, today we watched in sadness as our beloved Coach Dungy retired from coaching. I even cried a little. Just a couple weeks ago, Brandon and I went downtown and we went to see the dome's remnants after the implosion: the pics are below. It's amazing how fast things can change, isn't it???
SEE THE TOP OF THE OLD STAIRS???



No comments: