Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cell phones... friend or foe?

The last two days I've been attending a conference on high-ability (gifted) education at the convention center downtown. It's been really insightful... lots of info and suggestions. But here's my thing. I can't BEGIN to count the times someone's cell phone went off in the middle of a presentation by a very highly-regarded speaker. Why is this? Don't people understand the completely rude message that sends?

I used to give people the benefit of the doubt, thinking "oh, they've left their phone on by accident- how embarrassing". I could probably be accused of this MAYBE once. But, it's beginning to happen on such a frequent basis that I can't ignore the odds anymore. People are purposely leaving their phones on! WHY?

Here's my theory: I believe that people honestly believe that no one cares. They see other people doing it so it must be okay. Then they begin to convince themselves that what they whatever they are dealing with is a certifiable 'emergency', and therefore, they believe they are entitled to leave their phone on. HOGWASH, I SAY! What happend to basic manners???!!!??? So, I think that today, my response was appropriate. YOU'D BE SO PROUD!

Around 10:15 AM, at my table during a presentation, a woman's cell phone began BLARING 'when the saints come marching in' (puhleeeeze). After about 20 seconds of digging in her purse - it's ringing the whole time- she finally finds it. Does she shut it off? Oh, no. She answers the phone and begins to carry on a converstion. Now, the roads were really bad this morning, she could have been a principal with an urgent matter, an organ donor, or a whole host of legit emergencies... which would justify her behavior. No, it was from what I could tell, her husband and they were discussing their car being in the shop and trying to work out how they were going to get it that evening. So, I, in all my confidence that everyone at the table was on my side, leaned across the table slightly and said "Excuse me, ma'am? Do you mind? I'm having a difficult time hearing the speaker." I could feel everyone at the table bathe me in silent, approving applause. I had done what no one else had the guts to do and felt triumph! Glorious triumph. Put her right in her spot!

Do I hate cell phones? No - love mine, even thought no one calls me:) but, I think that if more people put these rude, abnoxious, self-elevating, cell phone ADDICTS in their place, we'd all be happier. Don't let another one of these 'users' ruin your meeting/dinner/movie....

This is a call to arms, people! A revolution! A grass-roots movement to bring back POLITENESS! YES WE CAN!

No comments: