Sunday, November 23, 2008

Lessons Learned

Well, first, I know better than to 'rage and blog'.

I'm over my initial shock and infuriation over the delay in our adoption. Brandon and I were super upset the first couple days, but what can we do? I know that the best people in the world are working this out for us AS WE SPEAK right now in Haiti. I definitely take back my remark that I should just 'go down there and do it myself'. That's just stupid and ridiculous on my part.

Our director just got back from Haiti and she said that they were working really hard to get things sorted out for us and the other families involved. Also, she posted on our website that the Haitian and US gov'ts are shut down 12/19-1/6 for the holidays, so that is also better than we imagined. At least we still have the better part of the next month to hope that things start to happen!

In the meantime, we are getting ready to host THANKSGIVING this year, poker playing included. Woo hoo! Hopefully this time I won't mess up the turkey. Last time it was just a teensy-weensy bit underdone. Lesson- give that bird some more heat and time!

Another lesson learned today.... buying shoes is not my strongest talent. I wear (gulp) size 11 shoes and I must have spent an hour looking for sneakers at Kohl's today. I always do the same stupid thing... I look for sneakers I like, then my size, which they rarely have. I need to just look for the size 11 boxes first, then figure out if I can stand to wear the shoes in public. I would save myself so much time and grief this way.

Perhaps the most important lesson learned this weekend.... I should not allow the store music affect my shopping experience. I found myself in the underwear section cursing the droning "Let it Snow" version by Mariah Carey (ugh) that I'm convinced was playing since I left the shoe department. I left the store with only my semi-ugly sneakers just as a result of the most annoying holiday music of all time.

A three day week.... joy! A four day weekend to look forward to... more joy!

No comments: