Saturday, December 20, 2008

11th annual DAY-O-CRAP

So, as a teacher, I naturally get lots of stuff for Christmas from the kids. And it is really sweet to see how excited they are to give me something. However, I have affectionally referred to the day before Christmas Break as the Day-O-Crap because of all the useless and corny stuff I get that I will never use.

For example, this year I got:
  • An inspriational-type teacher book (you can guess how many times I've gotten one of those)
  • A glass apple
  • A wooden apple
  • Apple earrings
  • A glass paper holder with a big cross on it
  • 3 mugs (of course all teacher-themed)
  • About 14 candy canes
  • A fiber-optic snowman that dosn't work
  • Another inspriatioinal teacher book
  • A baggie of mints
  • A third inpirational book
  • A wooden ruler

BUT, I did get some reall goodies this year too:

  • Some bath and body works shower gel
  • A candle (always popular)
  • A 24-oz diet coke :)
  • A gift card to smokey bones
  • A gift card to cold stone creamery:)

I've always thought that I would rather students and families just not get me anything. But, if they feel they need to, there are so many small things that I would be happy with and could use! A package of pencils, scissors, or some hand sanitizer. Maybe a funky red pen or some white board markers. I guess the other stuff is more fun to give.

Yet, this year, I did receive a gift that almost made me cry. I have to give you a little background so you understand how special the gift is.

I have a little girl in my class... we'll call her 'Susie'. Susie has not had an easy life - her mom left when she was 8 or9 and she lives with her dad who I'm quite positive has some addiction issues. She also lives with her 4 brothers who are all over 14 years old. To top it all off, Susie's best friend just moved out of our school with no notice. They didn't even get to say good-bye to each other. And she doesn't really have any other friends. I have to imagine that Susie's life is a lonely one as she is entering a crucial growing stage with no women or girls really in her life. She constantly seeks out attention, no matter if it is negative or positive. I've tried to be a 'mom-like' figure for her and try to give her special attention and hugs whenever possible.

So, yesterday, she was GLOWING as she came up to me with a present wrapped in paper that was clearly used for a previous present. She drew hearts and christmas trees all over it and it said (gulp) "To my best teacher in the world" (yes- I typed it correctly) from Susie. I fawned and did the whole song and dance about "oh, you shouldn't have, you don't have to buy me anything......" blah, blah, blah. When I opened it, it took me about half a second to realize with sadness what it was. Susie had given me a copy of the book "Rogue Warrior". I'd never heard of this book and immediately could tell it was an old one. It was the condition of the book brought it all home. The book had no cover, was edged with waterspots and stains, and had clearly been sitting on a shelf for years, maybe decades. When I opened it, it reeked of stale cigarette smoke and a clothing tag fell out of it. It was cleary something that she swiped from a closet at her house (or someone else's) before coming to school.

What could I say? I just looked at her a gushed about it. "Oh, Susie, you know how much I just love books and I've never read this one. But I bet it's a good one. Look it has gold writing on it and pictures, too!"

Susie said, "I knew you'd like it because it's about World War II, I think. And you like history so much so I knew it would be a good present for you."

I just gushed over it more and showed it off to all the students and displayed on my desk in front of all the other gifts. She just ate it up.

By far, the best Day-O-Crap...ever.

No comments: